Friday 20 September 2013

STAGES OF HIV-INFECTION

Stage1: Window period
When a person becomes infected the person
may first notice an infection similar to
glandular fever, but they still remain healthy
otherwise. During this period the body starts to
produce antibodies. This period is called
the window period and it takes the body about
2 – 12 weeks (3months) to produce enough of
these antibodies, so that they can be detected in
an HIV-antibody test.


Stage 2: Healthy – without any major
symptoms
A person is healthy during this time, but may
show some of the early symptoms or if they get
ill it takes a little longer than usual for them to
recover. Stage 2 is also known as the A-
symptomatic phase (no major symptoms) and
can last on average between 2 – 10 years.
Living healthily – eating well, exercising,
reducing stress, resting enough, avoiding
alcohol and cigarettes, can help prevent
opportunistic infections and therefore the
person can stay in this stage for longer.


Stage 3: Become ill
HIV gradually destroys the immune system of
people infected with HIV. Opportunistic
infections then develop and take advantage of
an HIV-positive person’s weak immune system,
making them ill. During stage 3 – which is also
known as the Symptomatic phase – the person
will experience more serious problems such as
profound weight loss, chronic diarrhoea, fever,
oral thrush, vaginal thrush, pneumonia and
TB. A person is advised to take medication to
treat the opportunistic infections so that they
can get better again.
Stage 4: AIDS
This phase is diagnosed when the person has a
CD4 count of lower than 250 as well as an
opportunistic infection (is sick). Very serious
diseases will occur during stage 4, such as:
- chest infections causing pneumonia and
shortness of breath
- TB (tuberculosis)
- brain infections causing mental confusion,
severe headaches and fits, meningitis
- diarrhoea lasting many weeks
- profound weight loss – more than 20% of
body weight in a week
- cancers, particularly a skin cancer called
Karposi Sarcoma

1 comment:



  1. Hello let me give this testimony to the public about a great man who help me out in serious illness I have a hiv for good 5year and I was almost going to end of my life due to the way my skin look like all I have in my mind is let me just give up because life is not interesting to me any longer but I just pray for god every day to accept my soul when ever I’m gone lucky to me my kids sister run to me that she found a doctor in the internet who can cure any type of sickness she help me out on everything the man ask for my picture, so he can cast a spell on me from his temple after all he ask is done 45mins later I started getting more stronger my blood start flow normally for 4 to 5 days I start getting Wight before a month my body start developing my skin start coming up after 2month I went for test and i have know more sickness I’m so happy that I can say I’m well and fine if you have any kind of sickness please for your save contact him for cure now..ekokospiritualkigdom@gmail.com..i asure you your sickness we be alright..Mrs Mercy

    ReplyDelete